Monday, October 19, 2009

United Nations and Iran

"MOSCOW, October 19 (RIA Novosti) - The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog said that Monday's talks between Iran and world powers on a new uranium enrichment deal have started positively."

I read that in the news today, and I can only wonder, "How is the United Nations going to screw this meeting up?" I now realize where the United Nations screwed up, they invited France. Iran currently produces low-enriched uranium. The United Nations is now trying to get higher-enriched fuel to support the Health Research in Tehran.

Personally, I am hoping this this conference goes well because the good that can come out of this could lead towards conversation about Iran and their development of Nuclear Weapons. I believe that the current problems with Iran could be resolved if Iran and the United States would sit down and have someone mediate their arguments. The problem is that there is no authority with enough power to mediate between the two and be able to enforce their decision. I think that if this meeting goes over well, the United Nations could grow in power and prestige.

The United Nations is making strides to be able to mediate between the countries, but the countries should also send notable members of their government to these meetings. There should never be a United Nations meeting where Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden or Barak Obama is not present. Those three individuals are the three most notable members of our federal Government. For the purpose of name and face recognition one of those people should be present at all meetings. It is also important for President Obama to have meaningful visits to the leaders of foreign nations. Obama has met with many world leaders, but in my opinion many of those meetings accomplished nothing. When Obama goes to visit countries he should have a list of goals that he wants to accomplish.

All in all, these meetings that will take place for the next few days could set a new tone that could lead to a lot of good work...or the United Nations could screw it up once again.


Here is one of my favorite Poltical Cartoons. Drawn by Gary Varvel.

2 comments:

  1. I do not understand your meaning when you said that the UN screwed up the meeting with Iran by inviting France. France is known for its nuclear energy. According to the World Nuclear Association's website, 75% of the energy used in France comes from nuclear energy. By allowing a country who understands the potential for nuclear energy is a positive thing. I agree with you that there should be an important figure in these meetings, but it is important to understand that these leaders cannot always be there. That is why we have representatives. But I a agree that these meetings, especially with Iran, should be productive and accomplish many things. I do not know if the UN should increase in power. The special thing about the United Nations is that it is comprised up of so many countries, and the countries with a lot of say are the US, France, UK, Russia and China. The UN allows all these different countries to come together and work out situations collectively, allowing the differences of governing bodies, to work along side each other. If the UN increased its power, I do not think the US, or other countries would agree to it, but then again, I do think that the UN should increase in importance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing with France was more of a joke, but I did not know that France is that effective in producing and using Renewable Energy.

    I think that IF the United Nations were to increase in power, they would not need another nation like to United States to reaffirm their power. I think that if this power comes, it will come slowly over time and/or the United Nations will be responsible for bringing peace to the world. I do not foresee this happening soon, but in this case, I hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete